Tartar Sauce > Mayonnaise
May 3rd, 2010 by plumpdumpling

I was reading The Girl Who Ate Everything’s post about her makeshift Filet-O-Fish yesterday, and I was struck by how delicious the sandwich looked.

I blatantly avoid seafood as an adult, as you probably know, but I remember actually enjoying the notorious McDonald’s sandwich as a kid. I’m convinced it’s not because of the actual fish portion of the sandwich, though; I think I just really love American cheese and tartar sauce.

Why isn’t tartar sauce more popular? Why don’t I ever see it on anything other than cheap fried fish? If it’s mayonnaise-based but tastes way more awesome, why am I settling for plain mayo on my chicken and pork?

May 3rd, 20102:40 pmat

Good call! Tartar sauce is totally typecast. Do you really think it would taste good on other stuff?

May 4th, 201012:29 pmat

But you totally hate tartar sauce, right? Or is it one of those okay-because-it-has-mayo-in-it-but-isn’t-entirely-mayo things?

Look at this! Has to be good, right?

May 7th, 201010:30 amat

I actually don’t think I’ve ever tried it. But I’m fascinated with condiments that seem to be limited to just one food. Like cocktail sauce.

Maybe sauces that go with fishy foods are more specific than others?

• Kim writes:
    May 3rd, 201010:28 pmat

Boo mayonnaise et al variations.
    Fried fish in any form calls for malt vinegar only.
    And that’s the only potentially Anglophilesque thing you’ll ever hear me say. Oh wait, and I like Cadbury mini eggs. Okay that’s it.

May 4th, 201012:42 pmat

I’ll go ahead and assume you’re not including Baconnaise in that.

I can’t stand the taste of vinegar on its own, so you’re alone on this one. I can’t wait until I can take you to Chipshop in Park Slope, get them to deep fry some pizza for you, and spread tartar sauce alllllllllllll over that shit.

• tia writes:
    May 28th, 20103:49 pmat

i love filet o fishes…
    and i don’t like seafood either.
    no shrimp/crab/fish… it’s too… seafoody, lol.

May 30th, 20104:08 pmat

Crab is the one seafood I’m not completely afraid of, probably because I think the name Peekytoe Crab is so adorable. I wonder how much fish is actually in a Filet-O-Fish; seeing as how it’s McDonald’s, I’m going to guess we only like them because they’re 99% filler.

P.S. Your blog is so cute!