Saltie – Sandwiches – Williamsburg
September 29th, 2010 by plumpdumpling

My friend Meredith and I live mere blocks from each other in Brooklyn, but since my dining is done almost exclusively in Manhattan, I rely on her to tell me what’s good in the neighborhood. She recently recommended the sandwich shop Saltie, saying, “I had their Scuttlebutt sandwich 2 weeks ago and CAN’T stop thinking about it.”

I don’t do olives, so instead I tried the Clean Slate, and OMG, you guys, I CAN’T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

Saltie NY Clean Slate

It’s hummus, quinoa, pickles, and yogurt on naan, and the memories of its craveable sourness just keeps invading my brain. $8 seemed a little steep to me until I got the thing and saw that the amount of filling they put on the bread makes it more like a sandwich and its own side dishes. It’s sweet, it’s crunchy, it’s oozy, it’s messy, and IT WILL BE MINE again.

Rating One StarOne StarOne StarOne StarOne-Half Star

The shop itself is quintessential New Williamsburg, a tiny little storefront with benches enough to seat 10 normal-sized people or 20 hipsters. Just take a look at their contact info or click on the picture of the menu on their site, and you’ll get a great idea of the cute atmosphere of the place.

Saltie
378 Metropolitan Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11211 (map)

• Heesa Phadie writes:
    September 29th, 201012:06 pmat

Dang…looks good. I’m with you. I’m not a fan of olives (one of the few things I don’t eat). But lord me with I’m not one of the biggest fans of Naan!!!!!!

September 29th, 20102:53 pmat

Yes! Olive-haters unite! I feel bad that I’ll never truly enjoy a martini, though.

I don’t think it has particularly GREAT naan compared to any other restaurant, because I love all naans equally, but have you ever been to Panna II on your visits here? If not, you have to next time you come. Definitely my favourite Indian restaurant in the city, if just for the atmosphere.

• kimz writes:
    September 29th, 20103:19 pmat

Heh heh, you said scuttlebutt.

September 29th, 20103:36 pmat

You just reminded me that that’s the name of the seagull in The Little Mermaid.

Speaking of which, haha, remember this? My church was UP IN ARMS.

• Tessa writes:
    September 30th, 20102:38 amat

Did you DELETE MY COMMENT?!

September 30th, 20109:21 amat

Nope, and it didn’t get e-mailed to me, either, which leads me to believe this is all a ruse.

• Tessa writes:
        September 30th, 20109:49 amat

>:(

No, I definitely responded, ’cause it was from work, and it asked me for my Name(required) and Mail, and it never does on my home computer, and it was all about how I couldn’t figure out what those translucent pink things are, and they look vaguely shrimplike, but you would’ve mentioned shrimp, right? and so I concluded maybe onions? .

Fine, internet. You win THIS time. But don’t forget I am human and thus able to consume delicious food, not just represent it in pixelated form. So there.

September 30th, 201011:36 amat

Oh, yeah, definitely no shrimp. That’s aaaaaaaaaaall pickles, baby. This was totally vegetarian-friendly (for you).

October 1st, 20105:05 pmat

I can’t even figure out what’s what in that sandwich, but it still looks terrific.