Convivio Closed!
March 5th, 2011 by plumpdumpling

Tucked away in the neighborhood of Tudor City, on a hill overlooking 42nd Street, Convivio was a hidden gem in Midtown East. Even as someone who’s let down by Italian food in New York City time and again, I thought Convivio deserved its Michelin star.

I passed it every day on my way to my boyfriend’s apartment after work, and coming home from a night out, we’d often stop and look at the menu posted on the stone wall outside the restaurant. Just last weekend, we talked about coming by soon to enjoy the very reasonably-priced prix-fixe.

But when we passed Convivio today, we saw this:

Convivio Closed
click to see larger

Convivio Closed
click to see larger

News sources report that both Convivio and Alto, which owner Chris Cannon held on to in his split with partner Michael White, were said to be closed due private parties and a flood, but it’s now clear that both are permanently shut down, perhaps in light of the lawsuit against Cannon.

Sad! Maybe it’s time for me to dig out my old Convivio (and before that, L’Impero) photos in memoriam.

• Dishy writes:
    March 5th, 20116:06 pmat

So sad. What a pretty looking place. Sorry to hear of the loss. :(

March 7th, 20113:45 pmat

We were talking all weekend about what could go in the space now. Kamran thinks it should be a ground-floor penthouse with a front patio where the owner (Kamran himself, obviously) could sit and heckle anyone who walks by. I’d kind of prefer something, you know, a little more neighborly and useful.

• Dishy writes:
        March 7th, 20113:51 pmat

LOL — what’s he gonna do when the passersby start throwing back retorts?? Or worse – tomatoes?!

March 8th, 201112:42 pmat

Sue them for trespassing! Wait, that only works for the tomatoes. I guess we’ll just have to rely on our witty retorts being better than the haters’.

• Mrs. Bachelor Girl writes:
    March 5th, 201110:15 pmat

That sucks. There world should contain as many Italian restaurants as possible.

March 7th, 20113:46 pmat

Especially good ones! And ones that serve a $68 four-course prix-fixe! Where one of the main elements of the interior design scheme is pumpkin orange! So sad.