The Dulce de Leche and Elvis Cupcakes at Crumbs
May 10th, 2012 by donuts4dinner

If you want to buy me a cupcake (hint), make it one from Crumbs Bake Shop. Yes, it’s a chain. No, it’s not as fresh-from-the-oven as Magnolia Bakery. Yes, each one contains half your daily recommended caloric intake. That’s sort of the point. When I eat a cupcake, I want it to be an event.

Or just, you know, a Saturday afternoon when I’ve already eaten half of a baguette slathered with cheese and honey, dumplings, pizza, and Cadbury Eggs. Don’t judge.

Crumbs Cupcakes NYC
the dulce de leche and Elvis cupcakes

Crumbs Cupcakes NYC

My boyfriend can’t resist caramel, so he chose the dulce de leche with chocolate cake filled with caramel cream cheese frosting, covered in caramel cream cheese frosting, and zigzagged with caramel and chocolate. It did not disappoint.

Crumbs Cupcakes NYC

I chose the Elvis for the peanut butter chips. I always get the Baba Booey for the peanut butter chips, even though I secretly prefer white cake to chocolate a million times over. So when I saw a cupcake with peanut butter chips AND white cake, it was

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

It’s soft banana cake injected with banana cream, frosted with peanut butter and banana buttercream, and rolled in peanut butter chips.

Crumbs Cupcakes NYC

Peanut. Butter. Chips.

Crumbs Bake Shop
420 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10170 (map)

• Mrs. Bachelor Girl writes:
    May 10th, 20121:36 pmat

Scratch the red velvet for my birthday cake! It’s Elvis all the way for me, baby!

• kimz writes:
    May 10th, 20122:37 pmat

Ugh, why does everything have to have cream cheese icing? I hate that sh*t. The Elvis, though? Yeah, I’m all over that. Luckily, Crumbs just opened up shop up here. Score!

• Jessica R. writes:
    May 10th, 20123:40 pmat

Yes to this. All of this.

• Elliepie writes:
    May 10th, 20124:16 pmat

I am one of those freakshows who doesn’t fawn over peanut butter desserts. I make an epic peanut butter chocolate cake (I literally had a woman who went to a party where I brought that cake track me down for the recipe 2 years later. Another person at that party asked about me multiple times … it’s a baby-making cake) but everyone else loves it way more than I do.

If you come visit me, I’ll make you one with white cake and peanut butter chips ….

• Cristy writes:
    May 10th, 201210:49 pmat

Both of these look so rich, I’d get a sugar headache from eating two bites… but I wouldn’t care. God, they look good!

May 11th, 201210:39 pmat

I’m completely sure you could guess which one I would go for.

• Rodzilla writes:
    May 12th, 20123:52 amat

We have a sprinkles in San Diego, but I wish it were a Crumbs.

and I wish I had some peanut butter chips in the house right now, but not really, because they would be gone.