The Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sandwich
August 31st, 2010 by plumpdumpling

In honor of the opening of Pop-Tarts World–mass market pastry retail heaven for those of us who were under the impression that only four or five flavors of Pop-Tarts existed–in Times Square this month, my officemates and I decided to make the mythical Pop-Tart Ice Cream Sandwich.

Thanks to Fresh Direct, we had the followed delivered to our office last Friday morning:

• Frosted Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
• Frosted Strawberry with Sprinkles Pop-Tarts
• Edy’s Grand Vanilla Bean ice cream
• Edy’s Grand Chocolate ice cream
• Edy’s Cookies ‘N Cream ice cream
• Edy’s Grand Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream
• Edy’s Slow-Churned French Silk ice cream (possibly my favourite storeice cream in the world)
• Ben & Jerry’s Karamel Sutra ice cream

And with those ingredients, we made these:

strawberry with vanilla ice cream

brown sugar cinnamon with French Silk ice cream

The impending glee was too much for Chantee to handle,

but our notoriously non-gluttonous German interns Sven and Christoph surprisingly dove right in:

And speaking of diving right in, if you accidentally drop Pop-Tart down your bra, expect this from me:

Rating One StarOne StarOne StarOne StarOne Star

This is one of those instances where once you have it, you can’t not have it. Like mixing heavy cream into iced coffee, spooning jelly into the center of a zeppole, or deep-frying a Snickers bar, I will forever be disappointed when there’s not a Pop-Tart in my dish of ice cream. The synthetic sugariness of it appeals so much to the truly indulgent part of me, and the lack of utensils needed to eat it appeals to my raised-in-a-barn-ness.

• thekamamama writes:
    August 31st, 20101:24 pmat

Based on that last photo, I may have to travel to NY so I can drop Pop Tarts down my bra in your presence.

August 31st, 20104:23 pmat

If you could toast it first, I think that’d really be more pleasurable for both of us, ifyouknowwhatImean.

• jean writes:
    August 31st, 20101:45 pmat

i saw you on midtown lunch!! i knew it was you right away..is that creepy?!?! YAY CONGRATS :o)

August 31st, 20105:00 pmat

Who else would be holding butter in her profile photo?

Well, technically, it’s margarine, but I think we both know butter is the only thing that makes for a happy boy.

Thanks for creepily recognizing me!

• Krista writes:
    August 31st, 20102:41 pmat

You clearly work in a funner office than mine. I love Pop-Tarts and need to try the “sushi” at Pop-Tart Word in Times Sq.

August 31st, 20105:17 pmat

The “sushi chef” claims he came up with the idea because he loves real sushi so much, but I swear he’s just a fish-hater like me. The bite-size-ness of sushi really appeals to me, though, so I’m all over this . . . as soon as I have some other reason to go to Times Square . . . like UNADVERTISED NEVER-ENDING PASTA BOWLS AT OLIVE GARDEN.

Do you still work down here? I kind of want to invite you to lunch, but I have no idea where we’d go that isn’t awful.

• Krista writes:
        August 31st, 201010:05 pmat

The Never Ending Pasta Bowl is awesome and still available for another month.

I do still work way downtown, on Broad between Beaver and William. We should definitely go out to lunch, though I have the same dilemma about what doesn’t suck. There is a good pizza place on Stone St. close to the Chipotle.

September 13th, 20103:07 pmat

Um, sorry about the zillion-year delay, and don’t think it reflects at all on my desire to accidentally sip from your water glass.

Are you talking about Adrienne’s? I kind of forgot about all of those decent Stone Street joints; I would go to Mad Dog & Beans every day if their burger wasn’t $15.

Let’s make a date for this week or next, if you’re available!

• Krista writes:
            September 14th, 201012:44 pmat

I like Adrienne’s but the place I’m talking about is this generic-looking hole-in-the-wall on the west side of Broad St. I think the name is Pizza Italia and they’re known for a “grandma slice,” which if I understand is tomato and cheese but different than a plain slice because there’s no mozzarella. Definitely a cheap place, I go every few weeks. Let me know if you want to go Thurs. or Fri. this week.

August 31st, 201011:22 pmat

Unadvertised? I’m seeing commercials for the Never-ending Pasta Bowl, like, EVERY DAY here.

Clearly, your town is not a chain restaurant town.

September 13th, 20103:09 pmat

Oh, the sneaky thing is that they’re advertising the hell out of it with those cheeeeeeeesyass commercials, yet Krista reported that they’re not actually showing the special on the menus here and instead have a little information card in their pockets to show you if you specifically ask about it. Shady!

September 13th, 20105:42 pmat

Weird!

HERE, they have advertisement cards sitting on every table, and the servers are mentioning it FIRST TNHING when they take your drink order.

August 31st, 20104:01 pmat

OK, I gotta be honest: This one gives me a headache a little bit. But that last photo’s pretty hot.

August 31st, 20105:19 pmat

A lot of times when people say something is too rich or dense or sweet, I kind of want to knee them in the balls. But for once, I can actually see how this would gross you out.

It’s made for 8-year-olds. And I am queen of the 8-year-olds.

August 31st, 201011:23 pmat

Is it wrong that I would rather mash up my Pop-Tart in a big bowl with the ice cream than eat it like a sandwich? Something sort of like a Coldstone Mix-In?

• Kim writes:
    September 1st, 20109:33 amat

Call me when there’s a s’mores Pop Tart involved. I haven’t had one of those in probably a decade and now I’m fixating like nobody’s business.

However, I’m kind of unsold on this idea, despite the utter glee reflected in your photos.